This is Carolanne

This is to tell you a bit more about who I am - from when I was younger to about now. I didn't anticipate it would have the start that it does, but that's what happens when I think some and write some more.

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Cricket, Tadpoles & The Sunday School Anniversary

In the heat of the sun, I stood outside on the bitumen road watching the game of cricket from a distance since I was one of the fielders. Every now and again someone would yell, "CAR!" and we'd all move off the road to the nature strip, watch it pass and then resume our game. Finally, one of my brothers would yell. "Howzatt!!!" and throw the tennis ball up into the air. I'd rush over to the footpath which was the cricket pitch and ask, "Is it my turn to bat yet?"

My brother would reply, "Not yet. You haven't been here long enough and you have to get someone out first. And now it's Glenn's turn to bat, then Alfonzo's, then Gavin's, then Scott's. then......"

As he listed all the names of the neighborhood boys, I realised then, that I would not be getting a turn to bat and I had other things I could be doing. I'd walk inside the house and choose a book to read. I loved, and still love to read. I read all the books I could find and when I was reading, I would be so absorbed in my book, I had no idea what else was going on around me. Even now when I read, I shut myself off to everything else. I do not hear the TV, the people speaking or the sounds of birds singing outside. Sometimes I would take my book and climb up into the tree in the front yard, especially if it was a whodunnit type book. "Inspired" by the book, I would watch the cars passing by (which was very few in our street) and try to memorise their number plates in case they were robbers trying to get away.

During the winter, we would play football across the road on the barren block of land that also led to one of the busiest intersections in the State. That barren land also had a creek running under a bridge and we'd go down the muddy banks with our buckets to go tadpoling. There was a hint of danger since the creek went into a tunnel, rumoured to be a sewer and some children had drowned there once.

We'd take the tadpoles home and throw them into an old bathtub that was in the shed, watching them grow legs, lose their tails and become frogs. Soon the bathtub was empty and mum told us we couldn't go and get some more. I wonder where those frogs hopped to. I know they didn't find their way into my bed so maybe they found their way back to the creek.

It was a Sunday afternoon, the day of our Sunday School Anniversary. Our new dresses that Nanna had made were waiting to be worn, but we thought we had time to go down to the creek for more tadpoling. We rushed off without telling Dad or Mum and climbed down the muddy bank, covering ourselves with mud and grass along the way. We were in the middle of catching tadpoles when Dad came and ordered us all back home. We were in trouble and we were running late.

Angrily, with tears in her eyes, mum got us ready and declared that she would not be able to attend the Anniversary as she didn't have time to get ready herself. I was pretty much devastated and we all sat in the car subdued, on our way to church.

We all went and sat on the platform, sqeezing into our places. Obviously, with five children to get there, we couldn't sneak in. I sang the songs but my heart wasn't in it.

The door opened quietly and I saw mum come and find herself a place to sit. I brushed back a few tears of relief and concentrated on enjoying the rest of the anniversary.

5 Comments:

  • At 23/7/06 3:28 pm, Blogger C.J.M. said…

    Oh dear! Tadpoling before church, particularly on a Sunday before the Sunday School Anniversary. Disappointing your mum, disobeying your dad. It all sounds a bit of a disatourous day.
    But, on the other hand let's put it into perspective. You weren't smoking or involved in criminal activity. And you all turned out well.
    Everything is relative.

     
  • At 23/7/06 5:03 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thankyou for the lovely trip down memory lane. With our family it was often kick-to-kick footy (instead of cricket)& our tadpoles came from the dam, but what fun we had. You write delightfully and I look forward to reading more fascinating Carolanne moments, as they spring to mind and fly through netspace.

     
  • At 23/7/06 5:34 pm, Blogger Carolanne said…

    We did the kick to kick footy too and at the start of my writing this memory I had expected to touch on it a bit more. However, I got distracted by the tadpoling and then the SS anniversary and ended up being someplace I hadn't planned on getting to.
    I tell my students all the time to plan their writing so that they know where they're going and how to get there. Please don't tell them that I have deviated from that rule!

     
  • At 26/7/06 8:26 pm, Blogger delwynnehughes said…

    This is delightful writing and thanks for allowing us to share the experiences and the inside thoughts that make you such a special purpose. Unfortunately it would be hard to find those tadpoles these days. What wonderful memories you have of your mum. She was a wonderful person and has handed on to you so much of herself.

     
  • At 5/8/06 5:53 pm, Blogger Nathan said…

    Ironic. Dad memorized numberplates as well. Except I think he wrote his down. And that was his sole intention of watching the cars.
    Publisized mental note: Tell Wonthaggi kids that Mum has deviated from that rule and probably does alot and doesn't feel any guilt. See if they can figure out something to do with it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home