This is Carolanne

This is to tell you a bit more about who I am - from when I was younger to about now. I didn't anticipate it would have the start that it does, but that's what happens when I think some and write some more.

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Respect Authority

Recently I read a blog site that talked about school memories so I gave it some thought and shared this story with my students.

When I was in grade 5 (age 10/11) I had a male teacher who was very strict but usually fair. We had desks that seated 2 and of course, they were in rows with aisles between each desk. I was a good student. I apparently didn't even talk much which surprised anyone who knew me outside of school and I worked diligently, received good marks and was regarded as an honest, caring student.

One day, our class ran a competition whereby we were all photographed with one student missing and other students from other classes had to guess who the student was. Also at that time, there was one other child sick but that didn't matter. The answer was the student who was deliberately taken out of the photo not the child who was away sick.

A friend from the other class came to me after having placed her vote (had to pay to do so) and asked me if she was right. I told her she was wrong. I knew she wouldn't tell anyone and since she'd already voted, figured I wasn't cheating.

A girl from another class saw me and told my teacher that I had cheated. After recess he came in and berated me in front of the class, "I THOUGHT I COULD TRUST YOU! YOU, OF ALL PEOPLE???! YOU CHEATED!" and you can imagine the rest of the tirade. I just sat at my desk, trembling and upset. What he said was true - I could not refute it.

When I finished telling my students this story they asked me why I didn't tell him what had happened and I explained that we were not brought up to "answer" back. We had to respect those in authority over us.

I can remember sitting in church next to my Nanna (Dad's mum) and she would turn in her Bible to Eph. 6:1, "Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right".

For a long time I have believed that if an adult, including a boss, said or did something, then I was still to respect them and not contradict them. Obviously if it was immoral or illegal, that was different but otherwise I should not argue with them. It has taken me even longer to realise that it is OK to disagree with those in authority and it is OK to even tell them I disagree. I should do it respectfully but if they are wrong, then it's OK to say that they are wrong. Sometimes I still struggle with asserting myself with someone older or in a more authoratative position.

Students today are being taught to question and to critique. They are taught not to believe all that they see on the TV or read in the papers and they know that adults get it wrong. Many of them are quick to contradict those in authority and a lack of respect is evident in their attitudes and actions.

Somewhere, there needs to be a balance that includes respect and includes knowing when to challenge authority and when to submit.

3 Comments:

  • At 31/8/06 10:59 pm, Blogger C.J.M. said…

    A sad story, but a powerful story. It is a highly relevant issue and illustrates the difference in world between when you were in Grade 5 and the children of today.

     
  • At 2/9/06 2:15 pm, Blogger delwynnehughes said…

    The BIble does have a lot to say about obedience.{We have been studying Romans}Also things are different these days. But it is good if we can really communicate and have respect for the people we may disagree with. It is the way we handle the situation and holding the other person before God is the important thing. I am glad that you are feeling able to stand for the right and that you can be willing to answer your critics when you need to. Sorry that things have been so tough for you these last couple of weeks. Keep hanging in there and know that you are being lifted up in prayer .May you know the peace of God every moment of the day and that even though it may not seem like it God is working his purposes out for his glory and for the good of all.

     
  • At 3/9/06 1:04 pm, Blogger gail said…

    The "Good Old Days " weren't all good Carolanne were they.

    For some of us it has left scars and we have had to work hard to assert ourselves and become the people God meant us to be and not who the perceived people in authority thought that we should be.

    Thank God for grace and restoration!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home