This is Carolanne

This is to tell you a bit more about who I am - from when I was younger to about now. I didn't anticipate it would have the start that it does, but that's what happens when I think some and write some more.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Read & Real Reflections

Being on holidays, I've done some reading but it seems most of the books I've read recently have a common thread. The main characters experience 2 worlds - the "real" and the "other" world which is usually accessed by dreaming. The other world involves the spiritual realm where evil versus good and it seems real. The books I've read include "Black", "Red", "White" by Ted Dekker and "The Novelist" and "The Awakening" by Angela Hunt.

Though it is fiction, it challenges my understanding of reality and perhaps my understanding of who God is. Do most of us put God into a box, however wide and deep its parameters? I think I do. I expect God to fit into my narrow minded understanding. Reading these books (and some blogs) challenge me on my definition of "God is good". We expect God to answer our prayers in a way that we consider to be good and if He answers it differently, we say, "Well that wasn't His will" and sweep it under the proverbial carpet. "It" being our perception of good and being disappointed in God's response.

In "Black", Elyon is depicted as an innocent and wise boy who loves playing. "See this magnificent waterfall? I made it for your enjoyment. I made you. I love you." And then laughter bubbles up and out from within His heart and Elyon & the main character (Tom) go running, dancing, skipping over the mountains and hills.

Who is God? Can we really get close to any true understanding of who He is? If our minds aren't capable of processing more than 1% of all the knowledge in the world, how can we expect to fully comprehend who God is? To that end, we need to pursue Him and yet, abide in Him.

Real versus Fiction.

Reading challenges me to think outside what I already know and embrace. It is not enough and yet, I confess that I am lazy and/or complacent. I don't want to pursue knowledge and understanding of God if it requires too much effort and time. I want it or the knowledge and heart of Him to come to me.

The other challenge is that of "community" or "body of Christ" and how we all fit together, or in some cases, don't. How close are we supposed to be? It seems to me that we go to church, nod at our brothers and sisters in Christ and go back into our own "real" worlds, living our own lives and barely making an impression on those we worship with.

I picture it like this" We walk around in our bubbles, occasionally bumping into each other and making a small dent, but rarely piercing the bubble and getting through to the person.

What is church for? What are friendships for? How much does it really impact on our own individual life? Do you want me to pierce your bubble and see you bleed? Why or why not?

Again, this takes hard work and time and I bet some of you are saying, "I don't have the time or energy to get involved".

Anyway, that's just some of the thinking I've been doing while reading and driving and holidaying. Imagine what else I might think up in the coming days??!!!

3 Comments:

  • At 28/9/06 1:44 pm, Blogger delwynnehughes said…

    These are certainly deep thoughts Carolanne and ones we often ponder but I am like you it is often too hard to keep on thinking and working these things out. I know at most times it easier to quit and just allow things to roll on. I find that at times I ask questions and don't even have the politeness to listen to the answer the other person is giving. So if I don't identify with them how can I be a real person?

     
  • At 1/10/06 9:07 pm, Blogger C.J.M. said…

    These are great questions, very challenging and thought provoking. But, didn't somebody say to me recently that reading is just for enjoyment, or was that just a dream?

     
  • At 4/10/06 11:40 pm, Blogger thekid said…

    This is a great collection of thoughts. I wish we lived closer so we could sit down to some tea and discuss so many of these questions which I often find myself turning over.

    You're right, to whom or what would we compare God? Makes me think of Isaiah 40, 45 and 46 where God reminds us of this.

    I bet you would like the writings of Eugene Peterson. I think he is my all-time favorite author in the realm of Christian Spirituality. Highly practical and down to earth but very deep and wise.

    Peace,
    Jenny

     

Post a Comment

<< Home